Monday 7 October 2013

Gentle lentil Soup

I have been putting off my food shopping for too long. Not because I don't enjoy it (I'm in love with the reduced section, spontaneity gets me every time) but because I inevitably buy too many heavy things and then the walk home is literally, a drag. Luckily for me, the lack of ingredients is a great cultivator of the imagination, and as a result I came up with this new soup recipe for lunch:

Serves two (or one extremely greedy person)

Ingredients
Olive oil 
2 onions
Rose/white wine
Dark soy sauce
 500ml chicken stock
salt
pepper
nutmeg
1 tin of green lentils
1 sachet of creamed coconut 
fresh coriander

Finely chop the onions and sweat in the olive oil (I used my lovely new wok to do this, what can you do in a frying pan that you can't do in a wok?). Once they have coloured a little, add a good glass or two of wine that you don't particularly care for (if you can afford to put nice stuff in, great, but I just had this Mateus rubbish to hand) and evaporate the alcohol from it. Now add the soy sauce, so that the colour turns from pink to light brown. The most important thing to remember when making soup is to SMELL and TASTE as you go. We do not want the soy flavour to be overpowering so add it little by little until you like how it tastes. Now add about 500ml of chicken stock (all the better if homemade), the tin of lentils (rinsed) and simmer. Whilst this is bubbling away, chop the creamed coconut as finely as you can so that when you add it in, it dissolves well. Now season it to taste with salt, pepper and a generous amount of nutmeg. Cook until it reaches your preferred consistency and then decide whether you want to blitz it in a food processor for a smooth soup or leave it lumpy. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander to serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment