Sunday 24 May 2015

The Anemone





The Anemone


My anemone heart is closed to the dusty, bloodlust desert, 
It’s tendrils tightly furled. 
 ‘Don’t breathe that dead air’, it whispers, 
Shrinking from a toxic touch.
 I feel it swim in the
Reservoirs of my eyes, windows so damned dull,
Opaque still nobody knows it’s there
For all to see. Paned with iron.
My soul’s clamped in, clammed up,
I shrink away from a clammy hot touch. 
It buries itself in itself, 
Bares itself only
With a laugh
 So hearty
That the meaning is stifled. 

An ocean lies over me, one great droplet,
Magnifying and distorting 
The sky that is so dry
On the other side.
Under here,
Looking up at everything
There’s oxygen that can’t be found in air. 
I watch as,
Drifting through oil smoke clouds,
The moon hangs upside down,
Too large,
Kissing the horizon. 

Preserved in my watery paperweight,
Those crimsoned tendrils wave mockingly, 
 And recoil
As the hands and hearts of others
Reach through and puncture that perfect surface,
Leaving trails of grit
And other places

On the doorstep of my world. 




No comments:

Post a Comment