Thursday 17 January 2013

Fusion Food

It would appear that bulgar wheat is here to stay in my so far small  list of things that are not essential but to my mind, store cupboard staples. These are things such as:
  • Anchovies: useful as both a quick pasta dish and for giving flavour to roast lamb, and I would also just eat them straight from the tin covered in oil given half a chance
  • Chai tea:  so much more than normal tea
  • Lentils: nutritional and filling for when you can't afford meat or haven't been to the shops in a while

... And now bulgar wheat: recently I have made many great things with this magically expanding stuff, today I had yesterday's cold creation of bulgar wheat with fried aubergines and tomatoes but brought back to life with a generous amount of torn parsley, some marinated olives and feta chunks, all drizzled with a bit more of last night's dressing. 
Is this the accidental amateur version of fusion food? Of Turkish origins but given a little bit of Italian 'ciao!'? Like the time I made an Italian beef stew that went on forever so got turned into a kind of tagine or curry with toasted almonds, honey, cinnamon, ginger, chilli, paprika, coriander seeds and cumin  instead? Whatever it 'officially' is that I'm inadvertently creating, I like it. It means that I don't have to define myself; when people peer into the pot, wrinkle their nose and ask what I'm cooking, I don't feel pressured that it doesn't look like, lets say, the 'classic Italian minestrone' that it should look or smell like,  because it isn't. There are no mistakes to be made, and I'm spared the disappointment of having made something that bears no resemblance to its picture in the book, or isn't as good as it was in the restaurant. So there, have that.










No comments:

Post a Comment