Saturday 12 January 2013

Lazy Pancakes

Sometimes it's a good thing to run out of supplies. Today I ran out of bread for breakfast (at least bread that wasn't stale, to be made into pangrattato Italian style later) so I was forced to leave my boring daily routine of bread and jam and think a little.

Not exactly the height of inventiveness but I made pancakes. Something that I love but rarely ever make except for on pancake day ( and that's if I remember that it is actually pancake day). Why? I am extremely lazy, too lazy to spend time making something that I don't count as a proper meal or isn't a cake. I also struggle to find an occasion for them, usually breakfast is rushed on the way to lectures so not then and any other time seems extravagant and unnecessary as they are not exactly the epitome of healthy nutrition. However, today is just right as I don't have a choice, there is nothing else in my cupboards that could possibly constitute a breakfast. 

Considering how little I practise the art of pancaking, I think I've improved over the years. This time there was no messy first pancake when there is too much butter in the pan or I've overdone it on the batter or got the heat too high.  It was great, and quite relaxing too, just swirling the batter until a perfect circle was formed, no flipping though - that requires an audience. Afterall, it isn't quite so funny when you're on your own and one of your precious creations goes tits up on the floor.  I'm not sure why it's funnier to flip communal pancakes, maybe because I'm always more generous with the amount of batter made on these occasions so it doesn't matter so much if one gets lost. Maybe I'm just mean.

Anyway, sticking with the theme of change, I tore myself away from the unbeatably classic lemon and sugar topping that I usually have (maybe not quite "tore" as having exerted such effort before 9am in making the pancakes, I couldn't be bothered to squeeze a lemon - yes, scowl away you larks!) and took a lavish dollop of eucalyptus flower honey bought from Luigi at the market which made for a brilliantly sticky and delicious filling. Fig jam and peach jam were also tested out but their flavours were not quite strong enough to make a contrast with the pancake. 

The trouble with pancakes is that they fill you with that pregnant contentedness so much so that I'm now struggling just to leave the kitchen table and even attempt the washing up, let alone the dreaded revision.

No comments:

Post a Comment